Tuesday, March 20, 2007

FIRE!


It was a small one - but we did have one, in the house on Saturday. Stacy simply plugged the vacuum into an outlet in the dining rooms when suddenly... SPARK! And within seconds, it was FLAMES shooting out of the wall. The damage was minimal - some black soot around the outlet (since replaced). And I had to cut out drywall around the outlet to make sure there wasn't deeper damage inside the wall.

An electrician determined that the outlet was bad - old, worn out and the victim of a 1960s way of connecting electrical outlets. The wiring is fine. His recommendation is that EVERY outlet and switch in the house be replaced. They also suggested that we increase the amperage and circuit breaker panel - a process they called a "heavy up."

We opened a claim with our home warranty company and are waiting on an estimate from the electrician to do the work. Then we have to see if the warranty company will approve it.

Remember the furnace? Now, the electrical system... Sheesh. I don't know how much more money I can put into this house this year - and it's only March...

4 comments:

Liz said...

dude, whatsup with you and your house?

Sammy said...

i have no freakin idea. but please don't say anything to the air conditioner, oven or washing machine...

MotownRunnerGirl said...

hey! i just found you on liz's blog! nice.

Sammy said...

hey margarita. thanks for stopping by.