Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Welcome Back, Sammy...

Sheesh... It's been like two weeks since my last entry.

OK. What can I tell you?

1) I have a new job - kind of. I have swapped jobs with one of my reporters. She'll edit for three months; I'll write for three months. This is something I had asked for at the end of last year, hoping that it would finally help me realize the way things work at this place. It truly is like no where else I've ever worked.

2) I took a trek up to NY for NAHJ's annual scholarship banquet and two intense days of board meetings. I wore a tux to the banquet and delivered a speech about NAHJ and the importance of giving to the cause. It was a nice event at a place called Bridgewaters at South Street Seaport. The even was held in a banquet room surrounded by windows. The view of the Brooklyn Bridge at night was amazing... Nick took a trek up on my second night there so he could hang out (he heard FREE HOTEL ROOM IN NEW YORK and jumped all over it.) It was cool having him around until he got all whiny crybaby about being cold and being tired from walking. Is it my fault he didn't pack good shoes? I also got a chance to spend some time with my NAHJ board buddies - Liz, Elizabeth, Regina, Raf and the others.

3) Stacy downloaded "The Secret," some book that Oprah talked about on her show. I don't completely get it but the bigger idea behind it is positive energy. If you believe good things will happen to you, then they will. But if you're constantly negative about things happening in your life, then the negative energy will keep things the way they are... OK, I think I'm over simplifying it - but you get what I mean, right? Anyway... Stacy is living by this way of life and I think it's a good thing for all of us.

4) My dad is shopping for a new TV. That's pretty exciting because I think he's finally gonna take the plunge into something cool and cutting-edge. I think I may be close to talking him into Plasma --- but we'll see. He's still in research mode, which usually ends us lasting for weeks. (You should see when he decides that it's time for a new car.)

5) The neighborhood is putting together a neighborhood watch. I know. It's kinda suburbia hokey but, hey, we all want to live in a safe place, right? The first meeting is this week. I wonder if this means I'll have to cruise through the neighborhood at 3 a.m. with a good flashlight...

OK. Clearly, there is more happening in my life than this. Blogging is really an interesting hobby, or form of self-expression. I want to write more. I want to think deep. I want to vent my feelings and frustrations about all of the things that are spinning through my head - money, kids, job, etc. - but the last thing I think about when I'm stressed is logging into the blog and hammering out my thoughts. I'm envious of my pal Liz, who has posted some really good entries - nothing as boring and uneventful as what I've been writing about.

That's it. Here comes my commitment again. I pledge to file some blog entries regularly and to offer something more than just these. I'm back on a roll.. Watch out.

1 comment:

liz said...

Sammy! Thanks for the shoutout, dude. And cuidate driving around your neighborhood at 3 a.m. Don't want to be profiled, you know? : )